Thursday, July 31, 2008

I got one . . . and NOW I get it

Beware the dangerous fruit

Sitting in the darkness, a little glow was coming from my fingertips.

I was waiting for The Dark Knight to start, and my iPhone was vibrating. It was an email from Ruby updating me on the press coverage of Louis’ passing. I started to giggle.

Now there is nothing at all amusing about losing a pet, even when his passing is making the news. I was giggling because I was sitting in a movie theatre in this backwater we call home and I was getting email from Palm Springs.

Those of you (Jenna) who have been carrying a convergent device for years may be giggling too, at my oh-so-come-lately glee. But still, I find it all amazing. I am checking email in the car, walking the dogs and at the grocery store. I was watching a Tigers game and IM-ing my nephew, I even snuck a read of the NYTimes in the Egg Building at the Lenawee County Fair. This is funny, in an addictive kind of way.

Yes it’s true. I have in my hands what some refer to as a “crackberry”. Well, not a true crackberry, that’s reserved for the original convergent device. The little piece of technology that as of April of 2008 had 14 million subscribers. The device that made “crackberry” the 2006 Webster’s word of the year. My second hand iPhone is, like me, a late comer to this technology, but we still have a lot of fun.

And Apple just introduced a lot of applications to add to the iPhone, really fun ones. Besides the direct link to the beloved NYTimes, I also added Pandora, a sorta custom music app that like TVO suggests content you might like. Marcy Wohlstadter suggested I also try Shazam and Midomi. These blew my mind, and not only because they were free. Shazam will identify music that you hold your phone up to and Midomi lets you sing a few bars of the song for identification. I can’t wait show these to my brother or to try this one out on a bunch of beer sodden friends at Cubs.

It’s a good thing I have all these toys on my phone because I hardly ever use it as a phone. I have yet to receive a call.

Someone, call me, please!


- - David


Comments update:

For some unknown reason, on the Apple version of this blog,
Safari users are unable to make or even view comments on this blog.
Firefox works fine. Will someone PLEASE EXPLAIN?


update update:
"I wanted to post comments too but i couldn't in firefox or internet explorer.
I wanted to tell jenna I'm a blackberry addict too now.
I'll let you know if I figure out the problem.
Glad to see you heart your iPhone. :)"
- - - Vegas St. Eph

No comments: