Thursday, July 24, 2008

(m)iPhone

The kids don’t have to be ashamed of this uncle anymore

Six weeks and four days ago we were at my nephews graduation. We were in a huge outdoor amphitheater with a thousand others waiting for my red robed smarty-pants nephew to make his entrance. I suggested to my niece, Ali-Baba, that we text her brother to find out which aisle he was going to use to enter. When I took out my cell phone, she laughed at me.

OhMyGawd,” she giggled, “My mom had that phone like, THREE phones ago!!!”, amazed at how far behind the pack a person could lag.

I was a little hurt, “What? It does texting!” I offered. But by the time I finally was able to call up the text screen on my piece of Smithsonian Institute technology, and Ali saw the screen, she only laughed harder. By that time she had clicked open her own cell phone, slid open a tiny QWERTY keyboard and was using two thumbs to type cryptograms to her brother.

She laughed in the face of her beloved uncle, her designated spiritual advisor, the one who let her drive his car to confirmation rehearsal, the uncle who is willing to stand between her and an oncoming water balloon . . . me!

“It’s okay, honey.” comforted Brian, “You can have my iPhone after I get the new 3G.”

So my dear Alison, it has come to pass. Today I will be carrying a piece of 2007 electronics.

True, it’s secondhand, outdated, and the GPS isn’t state of the art. But at least you, (and probably others), won’t be AS ashamed of me as you were.

And next time you see me I can show you all 5,000 of my photos that I now carry around in my pocket, have you read this blog, and then make you listen to MY MP3s in the car. 

Want to hear some polka music?

- - - David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh David... Thats sooooo sad. I was at the apple store last Friday, a week after the release, and peolpe were still lined up in the turnstiles as if they were at 6 flags waiting for a ride... I was at the apple store 3 times that day (my g5 crashed). At 10 the lines were long, at 3 the line were long, at 8 the lines were long... Thats being out of the loop...Now cell phoning 1 year out of date...we'll thats scarry.

David Stas said...

but reading the NYTimes on (m)iPhone, priceless.

Anonymous said...

My phone is old and barely passes in today's standards. You are now officially ahead of me in technology, so be proud of that.