Friday, July 11, 2008

The Internet Shall Lead Them


Facebook allows same sex marriage,
no Supreme Court ruling necessary


I now have a facebook account. Brian joined for business, I joined for fun. I have found most of our nieces and nephews and a few friends there, but that’s not the best part.

“You need to get on facebook so I can list you as my partner” Brian yelled from the other room. As usual he was sitting on the sofa with his laptop. He was working on his facebook profile and was tinkering with the particulars. Brian joined facebook because his friendly ex-co-workers had started a Subimo Alumni Association, and because all the gainfully employed are doing it now. So, as I always do in life, I did as I was told, and I joined up, it took seconds.

“They’ll let me add you, but only as a boy friend” he continued from the sofa.

“See if they’ll let us get married.” I suggested.

And they did. All I needed to do was verify it, vis email, a few seconds later. That’s when I got the message pictured at the top of this page. I like how they soften the blow of “You have no more relationship requests” with the little heart. We accept the things we cannot change.


Michigan may have turned out the vote to ban any form of same sex partnering, but on facebook we can live our lives as god intended, together and married.

And there’s more fun and enlightenment to be found on the internet.

When California ruled in May that the ban on non-man+woman marriage was unconstitutional, I immediately contacted our friend Ruby Montana who runs the Coral Sands Resort in Palm Springs, and is truly one of the most spiritual people I know. We discussed the need to get a wedding package up and running for the resort. “Oppressed lovers are going to be flocking to you by the planes full,” I predicted. I even suggested she convert a side room of her living quarters into a chapel.

“Put it on my blog, would you darlin’? (Ruby calls me, and many others, “Darlin’”)

And, again, I did as I was told, writing under my nom de blog in California, Barbie. (it’s a long story) Read A Modest Proposal here.

Well Ruby, a visionary who would never think of using the word “modest”, had a few ideas of her own. The chapel should be opened 24 hours, have a mojito-bar for toasting and we would both take turns blessing the happy couples. She knows I have harbored spiritual tendencies since I was a catholic grade school altar boy, I was hooked. I now had a career goal AND a retirement plan.

I had heard of the Universal Life Church, founded in 1959 on the premise that faith was purely individual, and whoever wanted to be a minister should be able to become one. No offense to religion of any kind, but this in My Kind of congregation. I googled, I linked, and in a few keystrokes, I was a Reverend. Within a few days I had gold seal documentation, I was certified. Once I get a license, I can marry and bury whoever should ask. Keep me in mind for your non-segregational-congregational needs. The ceremonial calendar is surely going to start filling up, well, so far it’s pretty open.


Yesterday it was announced on both the Coral Sand’s site, and on the Northern California sister blog, that Ruby had finally joined the fold and is now an official Reverend. Her first act was to baptize anyone not quick enough to flee into her new Church, including her 20-something chihuahua, Louie L'Amour.


Now that’s the spirit.


- - - David

No comments: