Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mystery Date

St. Mary Magdalene, end of the 14th cent.(?), SS. Johns church, Toruń
Wikimedia Commons


Today is a day of great mystery, in more ways than one.

In the the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Anglican churches July 22nd is the feast day of Mary of Magdala. Debates rage, as debates do, as to who the woman really is. Opinions range from penitent prostitute to the wife and mother of Jesus’ children. Did she wash feet or write gospel? Did the vatican make the woman a saint to deflate a woman’s importance in the founding of the faith. Is their Saint Mary Magdalene a condensed version of many women or an attempt to diffuse the power of Sophian Gnosticism?

I just love mysterious woman and Vatican conspiracy theories.

Today is also the day I mark the birth of another woman of mystery. The vixen has eluded all attempts to verify this assumption of mine, she will neither confirm nor deny. It’s not like I am asking her how old she is, though that she would probably tell me. Is it a fear of Surprise Parties? A hatred of balloons or cake? Maybe is it a saintly sense of self-effacing modesty? I don’t know.

With no implied connection between the former and the latter, today is the day I have designated as a celebration of the latters birth.

So I am sending out a big “Stolat” to her.

Can you guess who she is?
I bet you can, just don’t do it here.

But please join me in wishing she-who-must-not-be-named a happy day.



- - - David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you the wig wearing wonder!

Anonymous said...

happy day ...miss you ....something about a bear...beer...bare....bair..have a good day..lunch???

Anonymous said...

Its me! Yes, July 22 is the big day I turn 37....OUCH.
LOVE the fantastic picture.