Sunday, April 6, 2008

Something IS in the air

The subject of my last Master Gardener class at Hidden Lake Gardens was Flower Gardening. Annuals, Herbaceous Perennials, Bulbs. Vines and Garden Design. The speaker was great, the slide show was intoxicating. But there was a side effect, it made my spring fever even worse.

I left the class, got in the car and immediately took off into the woods.

Hidden Lake Gardens, where the classes were held, is a 755 acre Botanical Garden and Arboretum near Tipton, on the eastern boundary of the Irish Hills. Driving in, off Highway 50 the drive curves around some very nice specimen trees. You get to see the pond next, and on Thursday I spotted the swan couple making their way to the water. The Visitor Center is a smallish 60’s building on the namesake lake. The three domed conservatory is modest but has been a warm retreat this winter. My favorite part of of the gardens, though, are the woods; a snaking drive, roller coaster hills and utter quiet.

It was driving in the woods when I spotted my first official spring flowers. A sweep of Snowdrops at the base of a tree. I stopped the car. I grabbed the camera and got down to snap the pictures.

My fever got a little worse, but now I was smiling.

Right now, it’s only 42 degrees, but sunny. The forecast is for 62 degrees this afternoon. I know I’ll want to go outside, grab the rake and try to wake up the lawn. There’s a long list of other yard work waiting. That noise you hear is me, chomping at the bit.

Outside, it’s actually warm in the sun. Could this really be happening?

--David

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel it too! I was hunting down landscaping stores on Sunday dreaming of inspiration. Today, I am raking, weeding and getting my beds ready, weather permitting.
Good Luck!