Monday, April 14, 2008

A New Leaf

Tour Guides: liaison between view and viewer
Famous 60’s Disney Tour Guide Julie Reihm and Mickey Mouse


Wednesday, the journey continues.

I’ll be attending training this week to be a tour guide at Hidden Lake Gardens. I don’t know what exactly the job entails, but it sounds like fun for a know-it-all.

Being a “Master Gardener” means doing 40 hours of volunteer work the first year, to me that’s a bonus. Since I’ve left the store I’ve been looking for the next big thing. A lot of you have heard me sigh when asked, “What do you see yourself doing?” or even better, “What would make you happy.” A lot of times the answer, after the sigh, involved plants.

I can see myself in a smock and working in a greenhouse or a garden shop. There’s even a farm in Ohio called The Chef’s Garden that sells specialty vegetables to restaurants from NY to Vegas (baby), but the commute was a bit much to consider. I dream of owning a tree nursery, tending the stock with the dogs at my heals.

I have loved growing things since my Granny gave me a blue spruce when I was a toddler. I grew a pea patch by the side door in Grosse Pointe. I pulled up cement in the “back yard” of my New York apartment, hauling bags of dirt in my boyfriend’s Porsche from New Jersey. In Seattle the vegetable beds began, Brian and I dug up the yards of our rental house and spent thousands of dollars on things we just left behind. And here in Adrian, the beds and borders get bigger every year. Now, I’m afraid, this enthusiasm may develop into fanaticism. Can an addictive personality prove to be an asset? We’ll see.

I’ve signed up for almost every volunteer opportunity Hidden Lake has for the months of April and May. I’ll be at the Earth Day fair that the good sisters at Sienna Heights are organizing. I’ll be at the plant sale at Hidden Lake on Mother’s Day Weekend.

And this Wednesday i’ll be joining the ranks of revolutionary costumed docents, flag carrying sprinters, mouse-eared automatons and the safari jacketed alligator wrestle-farians bringing fun facts to the masses.

Can’t you just see me leading a group of school kids into the woods?

Hope they bring more than bread crumbs to leave a trail back to their bus.

- - - David



November 1958 Disneylander, © Disney

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting volunteering there. Have fun on earth day. I plan to spend time in my garden that day (and every other day that I can).

Anonymous said...

Oh David, I hope you can do what you dream.

Love you,
BB

Anonymous said...

How excellent!
I already have a bunch of Q's for you. You can volunteer at my house for a few hours and give me advice on how to germinate all the hosta seeds I bought on ebay last fall.
You sound really happy!
Best of luck on the tour! If I can do a 3rd grade trip to the zoo, you can do that!:)