Sunday, April 20, 2008

He's Here Today, Gone Today

postcard of Tokyo photo: Aichi University of Education Library


Brian got home on Saturday from his latest trip to California. And today I took him to the airport for his flight to Singapore. He’ll be gone for at least 10 days. His new job is involving more travel than we’ve known so far.

When Brian and I went to Paris, it was the first time he’d had been outside North America. We’d been to the Canadian Rockies for our honeymoon and then we traveled to Mexico for my 50th. He travels well and although he doesn’t share my fervor for art museums and marathon walks, he does share my love for exploration.

Now he’s on his way to a world I’ve never seen outside of Art History books. The first leg of his trip is a 13 hour flight from Detroit to Tokyo. Since Japan is 13 hours ahead of us, and across the International Date Line, he will be landing after 5 p.m. Monday, Tokyo time. After a brief layover he’ll get on a 8 hour flight to Singapore, landing there at 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday. That seems like a little more flight time than even I would love.

Due to the lack of flight time while he worked at WebMD, my golden elite husband has been down graded and is flying coach. I just hope he survives intact. But Tokyo’s Narita Airport is supposed to be amazing. Changi airport in Singapore has been described as one of the most amazingly efficient airport of modern times. So at least he’ll be in good hands.

Here’s to our traveller, may he become upgraded again soon.

- - - 大卫 (Dà wèi) David

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope he has fun! I know how you love Europe, by Asia is my side of town.
Cant wait to see all the photos!