Friday, April 25, 2008

The Never-Ending Story

Prunus x yedoensis, the Yoshino Cherry tree,
is in full bloom right now in the Dennis Street Garden.

Ginny called, my contact with civilization. We’re confiding with each other about our canine elder-care issues. Ginny’s Nala is suffering with pancreatitis, daily therapy at the Vet, and like Anioł, the pangs of old age. Anioł has another bladder infection to add to her other long term issues.
Ginny and I sigh, worry, and offer each other encouragement. It helps, we plod on with our caregiver duties.

The conversation turns to our yards.

Ginny says, “I got some raking done, are you done with your garden yet?”
I say, “It’s never done . . . there’s always the next thing to do.” An obvious comeback, but true.

There is always an overwhelming amount of projects to do outside. Wasn’t it less than a month ago that the snow was deep and I was itching to dig? Less than three weeks ago I was posting photos of the first flowers to come up in the woods.

Now all the shrubs and trees are in flower or bud. The perennials are creeping up. I’ve been shredding leaves for days and edging the beds and moving things out of storage, repairing hoses, and yep, weeding.

AND there is so much more to do. I try to keep focused or I end up running in circles. Actually, I’d end up running in circles more than I already do.

Is this the lesson of gardening? Staying calm, staying focused? The plants themselves are slow and deliberate and definitely on their own schedule, not mine. Can I learn to do things at Mother Nature’s pace? Enjoying the process, not the finish that will never come? Is the Zen of gardening within the grasp of this westerners mind?

Probably not, But I can try.

Janis, my sister (in-law), has caught the gardening bug in Seattle. She uses it as an escape from her life of retail, (like I used to.) Janis emails me and lets me know what projects she is working on, what’s blooming, what’s next. She asked what my current favorite plant in our garden is.

Two days ago it was the Bridal Wreath Spirea with it’s thousands of teeny cascading white flowers. Yesterday it was the Yoshino Cherry tree, which is in full bloom. Today it’s the yellow tulips which opened up this morning.

Tomorrow?

- - David

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures! I've never seen your yard in the summer and it looks like I am missing out!

Anonymous said...

Bummer. . . I'm missing the show!!!! Nice work David.

Missing you.

xoBB

Anonymous said...

What are your professional thoughts on rubber tire mulch? I was thinking maybe, found a good deal on ebay... Is it a faux pas?

David Stas said...

Dearest Sybil:)
I admit that I have never used, or even seen rubber tire mulch.
I am a wood chip mulch-er that has just gone over to the shredded wood school. Why wood? I like the look, I like the smell, and my dogs like the crunch. But the wood breaks down in a few years and I've read that the rubber lasts a lot longer.
I also read that the tire mulch is safe, non-toxic, and great for pathways, (bouncy?, and safe for plants. And people do swear by it. One warning, some suppliers of the tire mulch remove the "steel-belt wires" magnetically, and others don't, so wear gloves.