Monday, April 21, 2008

iChat, bChats, weChat

Brian appears, from Singapore, on my LIving Room computer.
David manages to talk back.

Old dog, new trick? Anything is possible.


Brian was living his life at 3 A.M. on Tuesday, and I was living mine at 3 P.M. on Monday. The thing is, we were doing it at the same time, together, sort of. Brian was talking to me from the future on my computer screen. Is this a rift in the space-time continuum or what?

Some of you, fooled by the fact that I actually have a blog, may think I am som
ewhere near being computer literate. LOL. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I went to college, computers were punch card eating machines that we took a bus to on North Campus. I remember long nights of trying to key in code for the simplest mathematical functions . . . and failing. Now I have an iMac.

Today, here I am using a computer to talk to Brian, “face to face”, live from Singapore. Twelve hours into the future and half way around the world is no barrier to out chatter. You should also know that my experience with video conferencing or whatever we were doing on iChat has been limited to leaning over Brian’s shoulder and talking to Parker and Jeff in Seattle. Now, at least I know how to open it by clicking on an icon on my screen and then clicking on a few other icons when they make little noises.

I love the 21st century.

-- David



image: Wikimedia Commons

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so super cute!!

Anonymous said...

video chat is awesome! We have been using Skype so that Oliver can chat with Grammie Trish. If you get on Skype, let me know!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It really is amazing. I remember sending my first fax at a corner store in NY going to Hawaii...We have come a long way Baby!!
xoDebra

SMDubs said...

Papa Shtead likes to tell the tale of when we were visiting UofM for campus day (admitted students day) and he told the lovely tour guide that when he was at school there they did have computers. Her response was classic. Her jaw dropped and with full sincerity she proclaimed "But how did you live?!"

Btw, when i finally make the switch to macs you will have to explain things to me haha. :)

Anonymous said...

Remember the movie TRON? That web pic reminds me of it...way back that was high tech too! :)