Thursday, August 7, 2008

While visions of Insalata Caprese Dance in my head

Cage them quick before they all get away.
Photo courtesy of PDPhoto.org


What looks like a tennis ball but isn’t a tennis ball? An unripe Brandywine Heirloom Tomato.

Our little Lucy has forsaken sticks for a new toy. It’s fresh, it’s locavorian, it’s a mouthful.

I’ve been trying to explain to her that while red tomatoes are safe for canine consumption, green tomatoes contain the toxic glycoalkaloid saponin and can be poisonous unless they’re cooked. She doesn’t seem to care, she tells me she won’t swallow.

I really wanted to get a picture of Lucy with the evidence for her photo album. And every time she's left alone in the back yard, she'll end up with an unripe tomato in her mouth. She looks cute and devilish with that big green orb in her mouth, and it really sets off the color of her eyes. But paparazzi would only encourage her. And I don’t want to do that.

I wonder if we'll ever get to harvest a ripe tomato. Oh well, there’s always the farmers market.


- - - David

No comments: