Saturday, August 16, 2008

Going Astray

The best laid plans often go astray,
but how often is that the plan in the first place?

This eloping interloper has to give it a try.


I’ve researched the Ol’ 66 on Wikipedia and on the Routes many fan sites. I’ve mapped countless itineraries on AAA’s site, which isn’t easy considering I have to continuously drag the route line off the interstate and onto Route 66. I’ve spent hours exploring the websites dedicated to the historic road and more hours lurking on the Flickr photo collections. I have to keep reminding myself that we’re going to California to get married, but getting there will be half the fun.

I’ve crossed the country by car so many times I’ve lost count. The trip is always memorable. In college Gerri and I drove out with the Fish (ask me about Winslow, Arizona). I did it again with the Schneak in his MG convertible, (ask me about just missing the Semi near Yellowstone). I’ve done it solo when I moved out to LA, and then 9 months later when I moved back. I’ve done it in a Ryder truck with Aniol when I moved to Seattle (ohh, the scenic hairpin turns through the Badlands). In 2000, Brian and I caravanned back with three animals and two cars when we moved back to Michigan. (Aniol and Sophie got to see the Mt. Rushmore in the dawn’s early light).

This time I want to follow a different path. How can I resist what John Steinbeck proclaimed The Mother Road? It points in the right direction, and we’ll even be able to hit some hot spots like Santa Fe and the Grand Canyon, which Brian has never seen. Ruby tells me there's great pawnshops and antique stores in Gallup. Best of all it will be entertaining even before we get to St. Louis. Route 66 has many fans including Americans trying to save the old motels, diners and amusements, and Europeans and the Asians wanting to experience the Americana that still had flavor. Me, I want to avoid the endless sameness that the interstate offers.

I ordered a set of maps and a guide book off Amazon and they just came in. The weekend will be filled with more dreaming and planning and I just may let Brian see where I am taking him.

This route will take more time, it will take us a little off the beaten track, and it will probably involve a few nights in questionable but dog-friendly motels.

But it will be an adventure.


- - - David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo jealous.What an adventure you four will have.

Anonymous said...

We're DRIVING?!

Anonymous said...

Have you watched the first Feasting on Asphalt?
I believe they take part of Rte. 66.
It's really neat plus Alton is the best tour guide.