Sunday, August 10, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different

Photo: Doug Kanter for The New York Times


One word: wow.

I have watched a lot of Olympic opening ceremonies. They’re sometimes cute is an amateurish way, but more often they approach painful, for the same reason. When Brian asked if I was going to watch the Olympics Friday night I said, “It’s not the olympics, it’s the embarrassing theatrics.”

But, as we know, I am all about making Brian happy. So I switched off the Dr. Who re-run and turned to NBC. After a little petty grousing about the camera angles, okay, more than a little, my mouth uttered the word, “wow”.



Photo: Chang W. Lee/The New York Times


Photo: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images from the The New York Times


Photo: Doug Mills/The New York Times


These shots are all from the New York Times slide show of opening ceremony photographs called Scenes From the Ceremony. Link to it here.

I admit that I watch the coverage of the games more for the travelogue aspect than for the competition, these games should be good.

Anyone want to go to China with me?

- - - David

No comments: