Saturday, August 9, 2008

Route 66 ?



This morning over coffee, newspapers on the table, the Olympics on TV, and emails on the iPhones my thoughts turned to deserted highways and endless horizon.

Route 66, take us away.

Though Route 66 was decommissioned in the 80’s after much of it was bypassed, overlaid and left to ruin, the spirit and a few of the old road side attractions remain. Wikitavel outlines a tip plan with every twist and turn between Chicago and L.A. It even has optional side trips to places like Santa Fe and the Grand Canyon. Since Wikitravel, like all of Wiki world, is written by users, there are insiders tips aplenty, like the geographic center between Chicago and Los Angeles is ADRIAN, Texas!

Who says eloping can’t be fun, entertaining and educational too? This marriage thing is looking like it will work out just fine.

There’s a song, by Bonnie Raitt that keeps playing in my head, (or is it my ear buds?)


Feels like nothin happens fast enough

Well maybe I just want too much

But when something's wrong between us, Baby

Nothin feels right.


I think it's time we cleared the air

Take a long drive far away somewhere

Tell me everything you feel inside

we got nothin but time.


Slide over, Baby

Here by my side

I wanna take you on a Slow Ride

On a Slow Ride.


Your history shows on your face

Yeah, you've been hurt you've been betrayed

Now we can't change the past, but we can

Leave it behind.


We'll forget about tomarrow, Baby

We'll just steal away into the night

And we'll just be two shadows, Darlin'

In the dashboard light.


Slide over, Baby

Here by my side

I wanna take you on a Slow Ride

On a Slow Ride.

Artist: Bonnie Raitt
Song: Slow Ride
Album: Luck of the Draw

Click to Read about Route 66, on Wikitravel (another jewel in the Wikipedia crown)

- - - David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spectacular lesson!! I was just talking about Rte. 66 with Tom today as he winds his way toward LV. I also liked the song lyrics. Rather apropos for my current situation.

Anonymous said...

Vegas,
Is it still picturesque enough to take a Harley trip through?

Anonymous said...

Though only a certain someone is qualified to judge, I would say that would be the absolute perfect ride.