Friday, December 26, 2008

My Modest Proposal

O before R


Much ado has been made about Obama’s choice of Rick Warren as a prayer giver at next month’s historical/hysterical inauguration.

On one hand Warren’s on screen analogy of gay marriage with the incest of a brother marrying a sister as a reason for his backing of California’s Prop (H-)8, his further rantings, his church’s banning of unrepentant homos and his citing of “biblical” reasons for legalizing discrimination.

On the other hand, there is Warren’s reported return of 25 years of church salary, reported tithing/return of 90% of his future earnings and his support of the AIDS crises and his publicized support of other charities. Melissa Etheridge (Singer/Survivor/Activist) publishes and accepts Warren’s apologies. Obama further points out that it’s an opportunity to reach out to evangelicals. Saner talking heads say that Warren is only one of the preachers appearing.

Has all this hullabaloo over? Hardly. What can I will I do? Well I am torn. I will cancel my plans to go to D.C. to watch the occasion. I will plan on watching Obama’s swearing in on television, at least most of it. I will turn my back on and not listen to Warren’s prayer.

Maybe this is what the founders had in mind when they planned to separate church and State.

What happened?

I am heartened that a well spoken, thinking man has been elected. But I am tired of the same old politics. I am tired of the hatred that calls itself religion. I am tired of the opinions. I want to be inspired. I crave hope.

So, I will (not quite so) silently protest hatred, unless of course it changes it’s ways.

I can hope.

- - - David


No comments: