Sunday, September 28, 2008

Car, Pool: 6 Nights and 5 Days at the Coral Sands Inn

The coral siding and turquoise pool give
the desert sunset a run for it’s money





I don’t think of myself as the type that is satisfied to stay pool side all day. I consider myself a museum goer, road food lover, rock stealer, path hiker, map reader, secret seeker, a dawn to dusk doer. I’m the one who comes back from vacations more tired than when I left. I tend to believe that resting is better done when there’s nothing else to do.

I did try to stay active, when I was at the Palm Springs home of Ruby Montana I was often found at 3 in the morning sitting at the formica table in her kitchen solving the world’s problems. But while the sun shined, especially at high noon when the Bubble-Up thermometer read 120℉, you’d find me floating like a redwood log in the calm healing waters of her pool, even when there was a wedding to be planned.

On Wednesday, September 3rd, our Element of Stylelessness pulled up just in time for cocktails at the Coral Sands Inn. Unlike the British TV star, Nick Knowles, who, reportedly, jumped into the pool directly from his motorcycle in full leather, I first drank Rube’s icy beer and THEN jumped in, suited appropriately in drip dry trunks. Immediately, I was enchanted by the healing waters. For 5 days I never ventured far except for sustenance, legal matters, kitchen cabinet meetings and, regrettably, sleep.

I discovered that if you stay in the pool long enough, miraculous apparitions begin to appear. Younger men will come into your life and ask you to marry them. Visions of sleek taupe colored animals will lounge on pool chairs. And buff pool grrls will float by, instructing you to seek enlightenment by performing the holy rites of water crunches. And I swear, in the glowing light of another desert evening I was whispered to by furry sirens who hovered just out of reach.

Ruby, you had better get out the skimmer, I think I have left part of my soul in your pool.


- - - David

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've learned that I AM the type who prefers a lounging vacation . . .and the Coral Sands Inn is perfect for a recharge. I can't wait to go back to Ruby's!!! Eat, jump in the pool, drink, jump in the pool, nap, jump in the pool. And several good laughs with Ruby throughout the day make this my preferred spot to unwind. I think by about February our Michigan friends will be wishing for a takeover.

Ruby Montanas Coral Sands Inn said...

David this is so beautiful. Rendered me to tears...Can we direct people to your blog from facebook...??? My sight???I