Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WHY IS THERE SO MUCH “RELIGIOUS” HATRED?




I watched “8: the Mormon Proposition”. A documentary that follows the Mormon church’s work in the political campaign to pass Prop H8, and wondered. $22 million dollars and uncountable hours spent for Prop H8's passage. What was even more shocking, Bishops told their followers that they would be expelled for not contributing to the H* campaign, and that there was an expectation of each follower’s family contributing thousands of dollars and even traveling to another state for the campaign. Why? Why was the money and time better spent on taking away other’s civil rights, more important than feeding the hungry or clothing the homeless? I can not fathom their reasoning.


The catholic church is no less innocent of such hateful actions. They are famous for taking ark-loads of tax-deductible charitable donations, and using them for their anti-gay political plotting. I don’t think there are any anti-gay ballots in this country that aren’t funded catholics. Campaigns in Maine are funded by baskets passed in catholic masses in Arizona.


The Mormon Church continues to publicly say that they want to uplift the sinner and not bully them. I don’t hear of ANY attempts at their uplifting, I hear accounts of electro-aversion torture, I hear of families having to defend their gay children from physical and mental harm by sending them away, into hiding.


And even though I can’t personally abide a faith holding it’s followers to puritanically hetero rules, I understand that some may choose to be so restricted; BUT why be overly concerned with another not of their faith, someone who doesn’t belong to your chosen church?


Mostly I wonder, why is their so much hatred professed by people that call themselves “religious”?

How can faiths supposedly based on love teach so much hatred? And how can people who say they love me still follow behind these people?


- - - David




No comments: