Saturday, May 16, 2009

Singing in the dead of night

Looking up from the NYTimes at the Coral Sands


The mockingbird song is always changing,  I am told. The bird doesn't have a singular sound; it mimics the songs of other birds (as well as insects and amphibians, Wikipedia informs me). The mockingbird might do this for devious reasons but it sings beautifully, full-out, exquisitely. 

Wikipedia also relates this birds' place in history. "Charles Darwin noticed that the mockingbirds . . . differed from island to island" . . . "with what he had been told about Galapagos tortoises, could undermine the doctrine of stability . . . "

The mockingbird: inspiration, evolution, natural change put into song. 

Sung to me.

The birdsong is performed every morning, a repeat show at sunset, it's permutations cannot be predicted, not by me.  The sound of change, it is in the air. This "symbolism" has finally sunk in. With a little work, with a little effort, I can not only talk the talk, I WILL walk the walk.

The Coral Sands, taken in by the Ruby, embraced by friends old and new, my Lourdes of the desert, should I be surprised that it's not only a life changing miracle but that it's been put to music by this historic song writer?

My life has become a stupendous musical.

I can dance to it. 

Well, I plan to, soon.


- - -David

2 comments:

Stephanie Weber said...

*happy dance!!!*

David Stas said...

let's hope so