Monday, May 11, 2009

Miracles in the desert, already

It's dawning on me in Palm Springs
   


Heavenly intervention? Mothers' Day karma? Full Moon? Ruby's Lemon Pie? Somehow something seemed to make everything right. But it was a bit of a trial, I may have exhibited a little discombobulation.

Everything started out fine, we even left a little early for the airport, I was packed a full day early. After getting B to his gate for his plane to San Antonio, I made the flight (by myself) in Detroit, the mile long connection in Minneapolis, and I even made the long walk out to the main terminal, through security, and all the way back through another terminal in San Francisco. (No big deal, you say, and I would have said that too, BEFORE, but now the longest trek I had grown accustomed to was the way to the back door at home.)

It was at that LAST x-ray machine in SF that I noticed that my iPhone was lit up as it went through the inspector in it's little grey bin. "That's odd." I remember thinking, "Maybe Brian's trying to call"

When I retrieved it, and my laptop, bag, belt, watch, wallet and slip-ons, the iPhone was in call mode and locked, the bottom "return to main screen" button didn't do it's job, nor did the off button, the ringer button, the loudness toggle, nuttin' honey.

No time to spare, I had 20 minutes to make my plane to Palm Springs, I pocketed my phone and wobbled to the gate, finding the new Samsonite™, 4-wheel rolling suitcase doubled as an ersatz walker for the weary.

Finally, making it to the gate, I called B, in San Antonio. (is it me? Is it ALWAYS the last gate?) "Have you ever had your iPhone stuck in the phone function?" I asked. "No." he replied. I said goodbye, I hung up, I was starting to feel panic, I had made it so far, but NOW I couldn't check my email OR facebook!

I boarded the almost deserted Alaska Airlines flight and made sure to sit on my phone. Did I mention the "off" button wasn't working? When the steward said the speech about dis/enabling all electronic devices, I may have appeared just a little guilty and blushed slightly, I may have shifted in my seat JUST a bit, I remember praying that nobody called and lit up the phone JUST as the steward passed. Was it my imagination or did he look a little like Himmler?

No one called, the phone was still locked but we made it to Palm Springs, I was able to call Ruby's machine, and I made it through the FABULOUS open air terminal to carousel 2 in baggage claim.  The near empty plane's luggage was already waiting. Mine was not. The carousel stopped moving. It emptied. I glanced at the "baggage assistance" desk, closed. I made my way to the small sign on the desk, I was instructed to go back to ticketing, 1000 yards later, I find ticketing also closed, at 7:30 PM, did I mention it was after 9?

Ruby had gotten my message and left a message. I knew this by looking at my phone screen, apparently the ringer was also out of order. I went to the curb with my carry-on. The airport was deserted, I was alone. Eventually I grew impatient (big surprise) and walked back to the deserted ticket counter. I reread the sign, picked it up, planned to do something creatively evil with it and noticed a call bell next to the small sign. I pushed. I waited. I left. Seconds later from a few feet away I heard a door creak, I saw a head pop out, I yelled. The drill: flight, name, UPC code, phone? Phone? WhaT? Like I had my own cell number memorized? Ruby's? Isn't the address enough? Did I mention I can remember all the phine numbers in my life until I reached the age of 30 and then it STOPS?

"No phone" the tired worker said as I tried to explain my predicament. "No phone" I repeated wearily, glancing down at my iPhone where Ruby's smiling face was now displayed. She must have called again. I explained and hurredly made my way back to the curb. Ruby's dazzling grin was now not only frozen on my phone but also in front of me. I made it to her open arms, her blonde convertible named Dinah, a star covered desert night and to a full up Coral Sands. Waiting for me on the boisterous pool deck were the cheering Debra and Charlie, our old pals from Seattle, now dear friends of Ruby's. We hugged hello. I had a feeling all would work out.

And it did. Sunday morning Marcy, the wonderful wife of my college roommate, the mother of my Georgetown grad student/former W-S worker bee/pal/"niece" AND my facebook friend, fixed my iPhone VIA FACEBOOK! I was offered clothing, given toothpaste and served coffee and comradery by my fellow guests AND my luggage arrived on the morning flight from SFO.

Mothers Day miracles . . . or the magic of the Coral Sands Inn? You decide, I have. 

I'm feeling lucky.

- - - David


1 comment:

Holly said...

My dearest David,
I'm glad to read that your bags did arrive. Once, when Larry was on a business trip in Belgium, they lost his luggage. My fashion challenged husband took the $100 clothing voucher and accidentally bought himself boy's boxers and T-shirts (due to a language barrier). I wouldn't wish that upon you, however, I'm certain that your account of such an event would be far more comical than my engineer of a husband who is not one for story-telling.