Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Recovery?

a sign



Maybe it was the heat of the sun, but this idea came to me in the desert.

First we were invited to tag along to an Aids benefit kick off party. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres were at the home, well the court yard to said home, of this benefactress, Jackie Lee Houston, or simply Jackie Lee. In prepping for small talk with Della Reese, Mary Wilson and the lord and lady angels of Palm Springs, Brian googled her.

That is when we discovered that besides patronizing the PS Film Festival, the PS Art Museum, and the Aids Assistance Program (Ruby’s on the board), ONE of the other irons Jackie Lee has in the fire is named the Stroke Recovery Center.

Brian mentions this, we both say hmmmm, we put it in the back of our vacation muddled minds. Soon after, he strolls, I wobble, out to the pool deck to sip our morning coffee. Picking up the local Desert Sun newspaper what should I behold but an article about a fund raiser for THE Stroke Recovery Center?!?

It was then, coinciding with my amazement at this coincidence, that B brings up the Center in conversation, mentioning that he looked it up and its 8 minutes away. I say “I’m just looking for further guidance”; their motto “We begin . . . where others leave off”. Strange?

Fast forward, interview, tour, nice garden, nice people, Ruby offers free bed. Did I mention cost is FREE? Donations optional? I’ve been praying for help, but this is sudden. I call, someone picked up.

Whirlwind.

Just like “that” I’m in. The place is a godsend. The woman doing the interviewing asks me if I’d agree to them using my nameless statistics to impress the need for places like this around the country. She read my fogged mind. “Why? WHY aren’t there more places like this? “ Surely I’m not the only one who is wobbling through life. The hospital took care of my life. Rehab took care of getting me off the walker, now what? Goodbye, good luck.

What do I eat? How do I get strong enough to get off the couch? Are there exercises I can do? I’m inoperable, OK, am I condemned to death? I have a lot of questions.

So, I am looking into living in the desert for awhile, who’d have thought? Leaving the comfort of my garden, my dogs, my sister, my HUSBAND and the sofa and the TV. Did I mention I found an oasis?

Discuss.

http://www.strokerecoverycenter.org/Index.html


- - - David

4 comments:

Brian said...

You always make me cry. Very sweet. I say go for it. And test life in the desert at the same time. Do we need to discuss limits on Eames chairs? Our lives are too short to dwell on lost time in Adrian. Just do it.

All my love,
B

Ruby Montana said...

I second that emotion!xoxo

Plus...we'll be living together in the same town again...in the same Compound. Image the trouble we could get into. I love you, David! (you too, Brian)...Miss you guys!
xoxoxoToo Much!

Ginny said...

i dont believe in coincidence... divine intervention yes...
go for it!...
dont look back just do it!
CAN I VISIT?

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow on Ellen...After rehabilitation at the Stroke Recovery Center in Palm Springs, Michigan native David Staskowski wows the neurological community from Alaska to Maine. Tune in to see how love, hope and determination changed his life and answered the cry for help of so many others.