Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If You See Me Walking Down the Street

When I was a kid and I got to go to the Hospital Emergency Room for a broken collar bone, I thought it was VERY exciting. Even when I had to take Brian in for a food allergy intervention ten years ago it was a bit of a rush.
Now I feel a little bit differently.



Over the past few months, I’ve talked about little else: Stroke, Stroke, Stroke. I must sound like the guy in the bow of the boat yelling to his team. For the last six months, I’ve thought about little else. Myself, my condition, my limitations: me, me, me. But now I can get around better. I am still messed up BUT I have started to get out of the house.

Therein lies the rub. You, dear reader, may happen to see me soon. I am compelled to yell out to my team, give some direction, WARN you what to expect.

I wobble. Remember how I used to walk on that rare, rare occasion when I had a little too much to drink? It looks a little like that but slower, more deliberate and more careful of obstacles. The subject of alcohol brings me to my next point

I drink a lot less. One beer can last me a very long time. It’s economical. I’m a cheap date. I already walk funny (see above) so the end visual effect is the same.

I don’t smoke at all, do you think it’s related? Not smoking is the one piece of advice I got from spending weeks in the hospital and thousands of Brian’s dollars. The house, the cars and the dogs all smell better now or at least more natural.

I don’t control my emotions like I used to. (it is a good thing I drink less.) I will sob during the most inane TV shows. I will chuckle uncontrollably like a 3rd grade kid in the back of a classroom. I can’t stop. It’s kind of fun, as long as I can breathe.

That's the good side. (It is?) The bad side: I can also easily loose my temper. The Banks? WHEW! Can't find my wallet? WHOA! Poor Brian had seen this a lot. Can be entertaining,(well, to ME, once the storm has passed).

I lost my BIG laugh. It’s just gone. It’s not that I don’t think things aren’t funny, (see above), It’s just not there any more. So if you liked it, heed the warning, remember to enjoy things while you can. If it bothered you, relax, it’s gone.

Although it takes me longer, I am happy to do the things that would have driven me crazy before. I can happily sit there and find stones in the lawn and toss them back on the path. I learned patience as a patient. I had no choice. I learned that fuming and swearing at 6 in the morning don’t make Lattes from Starbucks and a NYTimes magically appear. It was much like breaking a horse, but I learned. E-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y.

I’m fatter. In the hospital I discovered that I couldn’t hold-in my stomach. (Yet another indignity of a nurse assisted shower.) I have gotten better control of my core “muscles” but I am still fatter. Benefit: no padding required to play Santa. Disadvantage: reliance on sweat suits.

Consider this a warning.

I am sure that there are other changes to my appearance/demeanor. (like I talk funny, I tire quicker, I sleep more, I’m addicted to facebook) If anyone would like to add to the list, it would be appreciated.

Ah, the brain, it’s full of mystery. I am living proof. If You’re listening, thanks for that.

- - - David

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Kimberly Yorio at 9:00am April 9
David I love the blog. There's so much more to say, . . . I would also say I concur, you are addictied to FB.
Love, Kimmy

little grasshopper in vegas said...

David,
The well worded insight you provide is something I always enjoy. I use it as guidance in my own life. In a way, you're my Zen master. You might wobble a little or talk funny but I don't notice it. It seems we notice things about ourselves that others do not. Although I know I don't notice because I'm listening to or reading your sage advice or some epic story you're sharing from one of the distant and far away lands you've experienced.

Today I was talking with my friend Gina about how people change. Although we change because of our surroundings, experiences or cohabitors, at the core, we remain the same. So even if you're a little wobbly or you've lost your big laugh, you've replaced it or added on many other new things that people will come to love and by which people will be terribly annoyed. It's part of the outside changing. However, at your core, you're still my Zen master with stories from far away lands offering perspective and encouragement and, really, that's all that matters. :)

trish said...

Love, Love, Love reading your blog,Ifeel like I'm reading a fabulous book and can't wait for the next chapter.Love it,Love you.
Trish

Jeff said...

Since I am FB-phobic (I live vicariously thru Parker) it's good to get your update on this blog. Life continues to evolve, doesn't it? I'm glad you're getting out there and we welcome your "warning" that we may see you in the near future (at least that's what I take from your warning...). Anyway, we love you and I'm glad Parker can keep me up to date on you current musings on Facebook! Lecia loves hearing from you on FB!