Monday, April 26, 2010

The Lady in the Kitchen


This old house Spirit, imagination, farce, you decide. I’m not taking any chances.


Years ago, we had just moved into our current home, an 1850 fix up. My parents were visiting the house for the first time. My dad, who was already exhibiting the earlier signs of Alzheimer’s (bless his heart) was wandering around the new house a bit.

“There you are.” I said to him as he joined the room, “I was wondering where you were.’

“I was just talking to the nice lady in the kitchen.” he said to us.

As far as I knew the only ones is the house were now all together. We shrugged it off but I was a little excited at the idea of moving in with a ghost.


Ages have since past without any truly mysterious voices, knockings or gauzy sightings but she’s become our excuse for anything odd that occurs, especially in the kitchen (burned dinners included).


This morning I placed my coffee cup down on the island. Brian and I were both in the room, our backs happened to be turned to the cup.

“CLUNK”.

We turned, the mug was laying on its side in a little puddle of leftover coffee.

“What happened,” I asked, “I wasn’t anywhere near it.”

“Neither was I” answered B.


There she goes again. Nice AND naughty. We call her “Sassy”.


- - - David




No comments: